Winter On The Oregon Coast
Winter on the Oregon Coast is not a time to stay away, but a time to come and enjoy the cool things that go on there that are not offered the rest of the year.
Taking in the awesomeness of the winter storms, the holiday festivities, the lower winter rates on Oregon Coast hotels, the abundance of shopping and the sparse crowds. Sound good? Yeah, to me, too. ;)
There are very few places that I've been to that have that crisp-air, Christmas magical feeling that the coastal area presents.
The holiday and the beach play off of each other perfectly.
It's time to take in the smell of sea air with the warm fuzzy feelings that the smell of pine and gingerbread gives.
What is there to do around the holidays? Much, my friend, much:
- The Weather - Just because Fall has come and Winter is on it's way, doesn't mean horrible weather. In fact, June and July can be a bit chilly sometimes, but September is one of the hottest months along the coastline. It's sort of like a "second summer."
As a result of the pleasant weather during the summer months, the ocean temperature is also at it's most comfortable. Not to say that you won't experience some rain; that comes with the package of the Oregon Coast.
But, you will enjoy some nice, warm weather, often through October. After that, it tends to cool off into the 50's. But, don't be shocked to find some warm days occurring right through January! Check the temperature chart in the Weather Along the Oregon Coast section.
- The Winter Storms - Winter on the Oregon Coast puts on a breathtaking show for her visitors. From your beach house rental, nursing a nice, hot cup of coffee, tea or cocoa, watch as the Pacific Ocean rushes in and crashes the shore.
The winter storms that brew and churn the waves are a dramatic spectacle that you won't catch any other time of the year. The Oregon Coast is notorious for it's amazing winter storm spectaculars.
One of my favorite ways to enjoy a winter's day on the coast is to be shacked up in a comfortable hotel room with large windows overseeing the sand and waves, a warm fire, cup of coffee and cozyed up in my Ultra Cuddle Blanket. Now, that's what I call a day!! ;)
- Holiday Shopping - The streets are decked out in holiday lights and other decor all along the coastline. Christmas at the Oregon Coast is a spectacular time to pay a visit. The festive mood and the beauty of the beaches make a fine pair. Just like any stores inland, the retail bargains are aplenty.
Stroll hand in hand with the one you love down the brightly lit streets and visit each shop as you go. You'll find some really terrific stuff to stick under the tree.
Holiday Events - Starting in October, the Oregon Coast starts the festivities for Halloween, Thanksgiving and then decks the halls for the Christmas season. Here's some of the great things to look forward to:
- Jazz At Newport
- The famous Depoe Bay Salmon Bake, also in September, along with the Chowder, Brews and Blues in Florence,
- Tillamook hosts the North Coast Seafood Festival in October,
- Also in October is Lincoln City's Fall Kite Festival,
- Halloween brings out the spook in everyone on the coast. There are many haunts and happenings occurring all over.
- Cannon Beach hosts the Stormy Weather Art Festival in November and Newport holds their annual Oyster Cloyster event, where some of the finest chefs in the Pacific NW compete for charity,
- Winter on the Oregon Coast brings with it the Magic of Christmas in Depoe Bay,
- the Holiday Bazaar and Sea of Lights at the Oregon Coast Aquarium in Newport,
- Holiday Lighted Parade and Caroling and the Christmas Gift Fair in Seaside,
- the Nutcracker Ballet in Astoria,
- the Celebration of Lights in Bandon,
- Nature's Coastal Holiday Light Festival in Brookings-Harbor,
- Haystack Holidays in Cannon Beach,
- Sounds of Christmas in Coos Bay,
- Christmas in Old Town in Florence,
- Little Christmas Show and Tea in North Bend,
- the Holiday Candlelight Bridge Walk in Waldport,
- the Winter Tea Fundraiser in Tillamook,
- Rent the perfect vacation home at HomeAway.com!!
- and much more!
- Less Crowds - Even with the many events along the coast starting in the Fall, some folks have opted for their vacation time during the summer and don't take advantage of the fun of the holidays. That's your chance to hit the coast, full-steam-ahead!
It's like going to Disneyland in November. Although a popular place, the crowds are less because the kids are back in school, so you get run of the park. Same thing in winter on the Oregon Coast. The only exception is Seaside, which tends to stay bustling nearly all year long.
- Hotel Rates are Lower - Winter on the Oregon Coast brings with it discounts on lodging that is sure to make your wallet very happy. You can find some really great Oregon coast hotel deals this time of year.
Some of the best resorts, luxury vacation rentals on the Oregon Coast, and Bed and Breakfasts all want your business and they're willing to take some deep cuts to get it. Most of the smaller lodgings won't drop their rates very much, but their higher priced places will.
Check the Oregon Coast Specials & Deals section for discounts on hotels and coupon offers.
- Everything Else - Plain and simple, just because it is winter on the Oregon Coast does not mean that they roll up the streets and turn out the lights. The coastline cities are not fair weather friends. If anything, the entire coastline and every city along it puts it's best foot forward and goes into high gear. Winter on the Oregon Coast may find the sunny times few and far between, but the fun is just beginning.
So, bundle up in some warm clothing, bring you video camera or digital camera and I'll see you there for a fabulous winter on the Oregon Coast. ;)
Share Your Oregon Coast Christmas Memories
What was your most vivid or heart-warming Christmas memory while at the Oregon coast?
Others Visitors' Oregon Coast Christmas Memories
Peruse other Oregon coast Christmas memories written by my visitors!
<< Winter on the Oregon Coast back home
Like This Page?